Home >Tour of Saint Mary of the Assumption
The mural of St. Mary of the Assumption, painted by Mrs. Mary McCabe
Danner, is majestically housed in a newly constructed oak reredos
patterned after the original one installed in the late 1800's. Included
in the mural are St. Ambrose (front left), St. Augustine (back left),
St. Ephrem (front right) and St. Jerome (back right).
is the relocated marble altar originally assembled in the church during
the 1950 renovation. It is composed of former pieces of a communion
rail from 1920.
The newly restored pulpit was assembled from marble that had been the bases of the side altars.
presider's chair is made of wood from pews removed from the back of the
nave. Other sanctuary furniture has been refinished and recovered.
sanctuary ceiling is aglow with stars. The larger stars are placed as
they were in the eastern sky over Jerusalem at the time of Christ's
death. The smaller stars are artistically placed.
The beautiful sanctuary stained glass windows depict the four evangelists: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
The primary action of the worshipping assembly is the liturgy in which
the bread and wine offered at mass are transformed into the Body and
Blood of Christ. Eucharist reserved in the tabernacle is for
distribution to the sick and homebound. The original tabernacle in a
newly designed Gothic style tower, located to the left of the
sanctuary, highlights this Eucharistic presence and enables private
devotion near it.
the right of the sanctuary are placed the statues of the Blessed Mother
and St. Joseph. Twelve devotional candles may be lighted beneath their
Along the sides of
the nave, glorious stained glass windows installed in the church in
1916 depict scenes from the life of Mary and her son Jesus. Starting
south front: the Annunciation, the Birth of Christ, the Flight into
Egypt, on Calvary Jesus meets his Mother, Jesus taken down from the
Cross, Mary is crowned Queen. Starting north front: the Immaculate
Conception, the Visitation, the Presentation, the Finding of Jesus in
the Temple, the Crucifixion, the Assumption.
along the side walls, beginning south front, hang the Stations of the
Cross from Oberammergau, originally installed in the 1950 renovation.
the side walls fourteen small crosses and twelve candles, crafted by
Martin Hettinger, indicate that the church was consecrated and anointed
Two new reconciliation rooms may be entered from
the north side of the nave. Refurbished rest rooms provide access to
the center near the main entrance stands the newly constructed
baptismal font. The water reminds us, as we make the sign of the cross
with it, of our entrance into the church through Baptism and of our
commitment to its mission. The upper level was crafted in Italy. The
lower level, using parts of the communion rail, provides for Baptism by
The saints who inspire and help us are represented by statues in the
rear of the nave: St. Peter and St. Paul (larger) denote the universal
church. St. Rose of Lima and St. Catherine of Siena recall the
Dominicans who first served the parish. St. Boniface and St. Patrick
represent the German and Irish background of our early ancestors.
the presider's vesting room to the south, the window depicts St.
Margaret Mary Alacoque known for her devotion to the Sacred Heart of
Inside the main entrance is the stained glass portrayal
of Hoffman's Gethsemane. On either side two angels, originally from St.
Pius V. Church, Moxahala, Ohio watch over those who enter and leave the
church. In the south and north entrances are stained glass
representations of the Immaculate Heart of Mary and the Sacred Heart.
the newly constructed south vestibule stands the font originally a gift
of and in memory of the parents of Rev. Jerome B. Mattingly, pastor
choir loft, replacing the original one installed in 1913, stands the
magnificent organ completed in 1989 by Austin Organ Company, Hartford,
Connecticut. The thirty-five ranks of pipes are the delight of
parishioners and organists this side of the Mississippi!
bells were donated at the turn of the century by the St. Joseph
Society, the Knights of St. John and the Knights of St. George and are
named on the castings (from largest to smallest): Joseph, John and
George. Joseph and John ring the Angelus daily.
The building has been designated by the Fairfield Heritage Association
an historic landmark, recognized by the National Register of Historic
Places. More significantly it is a monument to the faith, generosity
and conviction of our ancestors and a treasure and challenge to our
community of today.